Chateau Gruaud-Larose is classified as a Second Growth and is located in the Saint-Julien appellation of the Bordeaux region. The origins of the estate go back to 1725, when it was owned by a knight, Joseph Stanislas Gruaud. When the property was passed on to Sébastian de La Rose, he renamed it Gruaud-La Rose or Gruaud-Larose. The property remained intact despite control being split among various descendents until it was divided into two in 1867. Fortunately, the two were reunited by the Cordier family in 1935. From 1983, several different owners controlled the estate until the current owner the Taillan Group under Jacques Merlaut bought it in 1997.
Today the vineyards amount to 82 hectares containing 57% Cabernet Sauvignon producing vines, 30% Merlot, 8% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot and also 2% Malbec that provide consistently good quality wine.