Chateau Margaux is a First Growth winery, which is located in the Margaux commune, on the left bank of the Garonne estuary. In the 12th Century, the estate was known as "La Mothe de Margaux" and a fortified castle lay on the small rise of land. In the 16th Century, wine growing took on particular importance under Pierre de Lestonnac.
The estate was passed down through the female side of the Lestonnac family for many generations and included a marriage to the Pontac family of Chateau Haut-Brion in 1654, which would be instrumental in placing Chateau Margaux as a First Growth in 1855. Since then it has belonged to many different owners, seeing particularly up and down patches in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. However the sale that brought Chateau Margaux back to its former glory came in 1977 when Greek André Mentzenopoulos bought it for 72 million francs. Since then the estate has been completely renovated and transformed and is currently under the ownership of André's daughter Corinne Mentzenopoulos, with the talented Paul Pontallier overseeing production.
The estate covers 262 hectares, of which 80 are dedicated to producing red wine, with 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot grape producing vines. Also unusually 12 hectares are used for white wine, using 100% Sauvignon Blanc vines to produce the dry Pavillon Blanc.